Diablo IV - Quarterly update - June 2020

Hello Exiles.

After reading the recent update / dev blog and initially being positive i got to the items sections.

Still this ATTACK / DEFENSE shite ..

Dont think this game will be a competition in this current state.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 25, 2020, 6:18:01 PM
Last bumped on Jun 28, 2020, 5:15:55 PM
it's not rly a competition if both companies are owned by chinese interests imo anyway

Blizzard isn't owned by the Chinese, albeit they do wish to penetrate that market. They're owned by something far worse - Activision. For all that PoE players knock on Tencent as evil overlords, they're tame compared to their American counterparts of Activision, and especially EA.
"
Exile009 wrote:
Blizzard isn't owned by the Chinese, albeit they do wish to penetrate that market. They're owned by something far worse - Activision. For all that PoE players knock on Tencent as evil overlords, they're tame compared to their American counterparts of Activision, and especially EA.

they're not owned by the chinese, they're owned by chinese interests. obviously activision/blizzard isn't a chinese country, but they have a huge market in china, arguably bigger and more profitable, that needs to be placated.
"
"
Exile009 wrote:

they're not owned by the chinese, they're owned by chinese interests. obviously activision/blizzard isn't a chinese country, but they have a huge market in china, arguably bigger and more profitable, that needs to be placated.

And that isn´t the case for which gaming company?
It´s the dire reality of gaming today, all game´s want to milk the crap out of you.
With the current state of the game replayability will not be that good with the current over simplified item system and skill twig.

If you create one class and play it to max level (currenlty lvl 40) you have seen them all and move on to the next one (4 classes at release).

Other than that. The gist of the past manifestors pictures D4 (in the current sate) as follows:

Console friendly semi-MMO.

A WoW + ARPG/hack & slash hybrid where leveling is forgettable and endgame are kind of d3 greater rifts (this time with key mods).
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 28, 2020, 5:08:41 AM
"
gandhar0 wrote:
With the current state of the game replayability will not be that good with the current over simplified item system and skill twig.

If you create one class and play it to max level (currenlty lvl 40) you have seen them all and move on to the next one (4 classes at release).

Attack and Defence are exactly like WeaponDamage and Spelldamage in Poe, there litteraly no technical diffrence. In Poe you look at a weapon and it either say´s 400WD or 700WD and you pick the stronger. At least in Diablo 4 you don´t have to worry that a skill might be useless with that scaling.
Furthermore PoE´s superiour yellow item´s are generic as it get´s, with XXX% defence,life,ressist. I don´t want to mock poe here, but it´s simply difficult to create intresting item´s.

A method to enhance a hero´s power through passiv´s, doesnt have to be huge or impressive. I´d rather take a couple toughtfull passiv´s over dozend´s of marginal stuff. PoE´s ""1200"" note´s can be dividet through, 10 X stat increases, Life/ES and XX%% increased damage of type X. It arguibly doesn´t have to be that big. Poe´s current skilltree is convoluted for the sake of complexity.

The conclusion for any arpg is, that itemisation compete´s with passiv´s for intresting effekt´s, so it´s hard to make both equaly apealing. I rather have strong and intresting passiv´s than over complicated item´s, because that something i can inherently influence.
I wouldn´t even mind if a arpg doesn´t have any item´s at all, were evrything is just passiv´s.
"
Pwnzors87 wrote:
"
gandhar0 wrote:

Attack and Defence are exactly like WeaponDamage and Spelldamage in Poe, there litteraly no technical diffrence. In Poe you look at a weapon and it either say´s 400WD or 700WD and you pick the stronger. At least in Diablo 4 you don´t have to worry that a skill might be useless with that scaling.
Furthermore PoE´s superiour yellow item´s are generic as it get´s, with XXX% defence,life,ressist. I don´t want to mock poe here, but it´s simply difficult to create intresting item´s.

A method to enhance a hero´s power through passiv´s, doesnt have to be huge or impressive. I´d rather take a couple toughtfull passiv´s over dozend´s of marginal stuff. PoE´s ""1200"" note´s can be dividet through, 10 X stat increases, Life/ES and XX%% increased damage of type X. It arguibly doesn´t have to be that big. Poe´s current skilltree is convoluted for the sake of complexity.

The conclusion for any arpg is, that itemisation compete´s with passiv´s for intresting effekt´s, so it´s hard to make both equaly apealing. I rather have strong and intresting passiv´s than over complicated item´s, because that something i can inherently influence.
I wouldn´t even mind if a arpg doesn´t have any item´s at all, were evrything is just passiv´s.

Yep.

Should not be one sided (pure item or skill progression) but balanced.

But with one detail: Spell damage should mainly come through skill level increases and not weapon damage.

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore

Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 28, 2020, 12:49:14 PM
Ladder slasher > D4 easily
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019

"It looks like we broke something with 3.10.0. We don't know what it is yet." - Bex, March 16th, 2020

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info