recommendations for a multiplayer-focused 4X game?

i've been enjoying playing civ 5 lately (specifically lekmod), and it's the only 4X game i've ever played. can you recommend some other well balanced, multiplayer focused 4X games that i should try?
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░
Last bumped on May 20, 2020, 3:23:31 PM
Was gonna say look into the mods for Xcom series, I mean at the end of the day you're price fixing on selling dead aliens to each other, but shrug that's the journey
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron IV, Endless Space or Endless Legend, Stellaris, Victoria II, etc. You'll quickly notice that a lot of those titles are from Paradox Interactive, and that's no accident - they've been the reigning champs of the 4X genre for a while now.

Alternately, you could try out the Total War series. It's a bit different in that it's turn-based strategy, but real time tactics i.e. you get to actually control your army on a battlefield map - can be quite the experience. I'd recommend TW: Shogun II from their historical stable, or you could try TW: Warhammer 2 for a fantasy approach instead.

Note that you'll quickly discover the bane of the 4X / grand strategy genre - innumerable DLCs. Be prepared for that. Do your research (many of the Steam reviews on these titles very helpfully offer advice) so you know which of the expansions you'd really want, and which aren't important. Else you might end up spending a lot on a single game. On the flipside, the genre offers very good value - and they'll all give you a lot to play with for a very long time.

Last edited by Exile009 on May 13, 2020, 5:40:43 PM
"
Exile009 wrote:
Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron IV, Endless Space or Endless Legend, Stellaris, Victoria II, etc. You'll quickly notice that a lot of those titles are from Paradox Interactive, and that's no accident - they've been the reigning champs of the 4X genre for a while now.

Alternately, you could try out the Total War series. It's a bit different in that it's turn-based strategy, but real time tactics i.e. you get to actually control your army on a battlefield map - can be quite the experience. I'd recommend TW: Shogun II from their historical stable, or you could try TW: Warhammer 2 for a fantasy approach instead.

Note that you'll quickly discover the bane of the 4X / grand strategy genre - innumerable DLCs. Be prepared for that. Do your research (many of the Steam reviews on these titles very helpfully offer advice) so you know which of the expansions you'd really want, and which aren't important. Else you might end up spending a lot on a single game. On the flipside, the genre offers very good value - and they'll all give you a lot to play with for a very long time.

i appreciate your insight friend. i noticed that stellaris is free to play for the next couple days. i also read that the match defaults to the host's DLC, so i can probably find a multiplayer game with all the DLC and try it out that way. thanks for your recommendations.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/226840/Age_of_Wonders_III/

I highly recommend age of wonders. It's like civ and heroes of might and magic had a baby... Solid 9/10.
"
Keriashe wrote:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/226840/Age_of_Wonders_III/

I highly recommend age of wonders. It's like civ and heroes of might and magic had a baby... Solid 9/10.

Looks interesting, and at a very good price right now.
Yeah, at 75% off it's a steal.
"
cgheezey wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:

i appreciate your insight friend. i noticed that stellaris is free to play for the next couple days. i also read that the match defaults to the host's DLC, so i can probably find a multiplayer game with all the DLC and try it out that way. thanks for your recommendations.

You're welcome. Also I forgot to mention Crusader Kings 2 and Age of Wonders.
i ended up trying out Stellaris and loving it. i am SO hoooked on it right now. i bought it while it was on sale a couple days ago and i'm so glad i did. this game is gonna give me many many hours of enjoyment and i highly recommend it to anyone who is curious to try it.

thanks for the responses everyone! i'm looking forward to trying out more games like this in the future.

see you on PoE next league =)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info