sex appeal in TNG and Voyager

I've been rewatching Star Trek Next Generation for a long while now and Troi is finally in uniform. Given that her outfit design and probably more so's seven of nine's catsuit were meant to create sex appeal for the male viewers, I'm curious about some outside input.

For example, growing up watching TNG it wasn't until Troi was in uniform that I found her appealing (physically). With Jeri Ryan's Seven of Nine, that awkwardly tight suit they had her wear for years did nothing for me. Instead, all they would have had to do is have her wear her hair down.

Essentially, what I'm asking is if you as a viewer of TNG and/or Voyager buy into that sex appeal angle? I always felt like fans were far more focused on the substance of the material. Admittedly though I've looked up quite a few actresses since I started rewatching since in those days the internet wasn't quite so useful. Yet even then, the appeal of those actresses wasn't based on a tight or skimpy outfit.

In other words, did anyone watch TNG or Voyager or DS9 with the same mindset of watching Baywatch on mute?
Yep, totally over league play.
Last bumped on Jan 27, 2020, 1:58:30 PM
106 views and no one motivated to log in to reply.

Meanwhile a post about a mirror drop vs sex with dream girl managed over 5 pages of replies....

That's kind of scary and sad...
Yeah i think most of those views are from ppl who dont know thats about StarTreck. I didnt, opened it, read it and... Well... I watched some ST but not a fan so i dont care about.

I think there are more ppl like me. Its not about logging in. Its about caring.
I´m not qualified to berate you on how to use your brain, but you could read Perry Rhodan and fill out the blank characters with your own imagination.

To me, Scifi is all about filling the question "How do Aliens looka like", i´m not concentrating on the female parts of a blob. Maybe thats why they abduct cows so much.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
I think best portration of "aliens" is in Arrival movie - they are really "Alien".
Last edited by elesham4ever on Feb 15, 2020, 3:38:38 AM
"
de99ial wrote:
Yeah i think most of those views are from ppl who dont know thats about StarTreck. I didnt, opened it, read it and... Well... I watched some ST but not a fan so i dont care about.

I think there are more ppl like me. Its not about logging in. Its about caring.

I have no doubt about that, but it's still unnerving when you observe the random stuff people do care enough to comment on as far as social media goes in general.

"
Lachdanan wrote:
I´m not qualified to berate you on how to use your brain, but you could read Perry Rhodan and fill out the blank characters with your own imagination.

To me, Scifi is all about filling the question "How do Aliens looka like", i´m not concentrating on the female parts of a blob. Maybe thats why they abduct cows so much.

With the metoo movement and all that jazz, I was just curious if there were fans that were more focused on the superficial than the content or was it simply a Hollywood perception that sci-fi fans are predominantly lonely males easily fixated on females.

"
elesham4ever wrote:

might be an age thing. st tng/voy was the 90s. how many path players were even alive then? and if theyre new-gen trek fans (STD or Picard) then they probably just reported the post for seximizism cuz woke.

Yeah, you may be right. I've gotten accustomed to the forum posters that are my age or older and I forget that most of the player base don't have and 80s or 90s playlist.
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:

I have no doubt about that, but it's still unnerving when you observe the random stuff people do care enough to comment on as far as social media goes in general.

I agree but paying attention to those things is pointless. Ppl are ppl and allow them to be ppl. Focus on what gets You and live. Care about ppl who care about You. IMHO StarTrek is a very pulp version of SF - rubber masks on faces and humanoid bodies. Thats easy and lazy design but works with limited sources. Dont overthink it. And well "sex sells".
Last edited by de99ial on Jan 27, 2020, 2:20:29 AM
"
de99ial wrote:
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:

I agree but paying attention to those things is pointless. Ppl are ppl and allow them to be ppl. Focus on what gets You and live. Care about ppl who care about You. IMHO StarTrek is a very pulp version of SF - rubber masks on faces and humanoid bodies. Thats easy and lazy design but works with limited sources. Dont overthink it. And well "sex sells".

It's more a reflection on the changing times. I've read several times about Star Trek relying on sex appeal to boost ratings. Having been able to review the episodes thanks to streaming, it seems the ratings drops at the time were far more likely to loss of interest given the writing, not what the ladies wore.

On the flip side, if it wasn't for the strong female characters in something like Andromeda, I would have never made it through that series. So maybe that answers my own question, albeit that's more a matter of substance versus meaningless entertainment.
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:
"
SeCKSEgai wrote:

It's more a reflection on the changing times. I've read several times about Star Trek relying on sex appeal to boost ratings. Having been able to review the episodes thanks to streaming, it seems the ratings drops at the time were far more likely to loss of interest given the writing, not what the ladies wore.

On the flip side, if it wasn't for the strong female characters in something like Andromeda, I would have never made it through that series. So maybe that answers my own question, albeit that's more a matter of substance versus meaningless entertainment.

Well... Like i said "sex sells".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info