Isolated, Lonely, Lost Hope (Not a singles Ad)

I love POE, i have enjoyed it from the second it hit console. Unfortunately I am feeling like we’re a heavily isolated community.
The issues being experienced on consoles are issues that should be picked up during testing, it seems very shambolic. A lot of effort goes in from all the team at GGG, but all the community focus is on ensuring a happy PC player base.

Id like to see a development manifesto, a pledge to make things better. Reading the F&Q’s from 2017 are laughable to look back on, so many hopes dreams and promises.

I will be looking to move across to PC in the coming months, along with many others I have spoke to, making a small console community even smaller, which GGG will have to question wether they continue to support and develop.

Acknowledge the problems GGG, put your hands up, engage with the community in the nature which you Used to do so well

Signed
An Exasperated PoE Console Player
Last bumped on Jan 19, 2020, 6:44:25 AM
"
Signed

Being a console player, I understand your pain and empathize with it.

But, being a cynical old bartard, I think that some issues we have aren't worth addressing... I'll try to sum them up.

1) Hardware: The consoles being coded for basically came out years ago... Aside from some improvements on the newest iteration, there's nothing there GGG can work with in order to improve, across the board, console performance and related play experience. They're not going to invest the money to improve the game just for XBox One X users, for instance, since there would be a surge in flights to New Zealand and an increase in the number of Fire Calls received from GGG's offices... Ain't gonna happen.

New Consoles are coming out in the fourth quarter of 2020, or thereabouts. We'll all get to enjoy spending hundreds of dollars on new garbage electronics designed to keep us "plugged in." Expect a spate of "could gaming" propaganda, too. GGG will, if ever, seek to make this a "development opportunity." Though... they'll still have to contend with legacy hardware consoles. They'll probably just light the whole place on fire and announce a version only for the Next Gen consoles.

2) Leaving for PC does nothing to improve console development. They don't see the same world we do. When they ring the bell in the marketing department because they've hit their quota of impulse-buy MTX transactions, that's when they're actually listening. Doesn't matter where it comes from so long as the expenses incurred by console porting are covered.

Vote with your wallet, instead. Just don't buy MTX from them at all until your concerns are addressed.

3) GGG isn't always to blame.

<gasp>

inorite.jpg

A large number of issues dealing with gameplay-related quality issues are, in fact, outside the scope of GGG. That's a common issue with consoles, 'cause of reasons:

A home's internal wiring, splitters, a network's wiring, old chipset modems getting hammered like never before, rusted-as-crap bolt-on connectors sitting in a puddle outside, some brilliant tech's idea to ground the house to a cable connection, families who insist that streaming three movies at once through their pipe is a non-issue for anything else, five people on wifi while their phones upload "their life" to storage... All these things add up to a difficult diagnostics situation. And, consoler's are sometimes a bit too concerned about their e-peen reputation in terms of hardware and connection quality to actually pay attention to... their hardware and connection quality.

IMO, I'd say half the complaints listed in the console forums related to in-game play issues are directly related to the complaintant's network quality, hardware age, and internet provider, in that order.

(I have a guide I was working on. Just haven't finished it because trying to cover "basics" to make it easier for neophytes is difficult. :) Will likely post it before 4.0... maybe. :) Best thing to post would just be "Call your ISP" I guess and leave it at that.)

GGG can't be expected to solve those problems. They aren't in their area of responsibility.

Though, designing the game so it must "phone home" whenever anything happens in the game, ever, is... hitting potential "anti-cheat" problems with the Nuclear Option.
"
Morkonan wrote:
"
Signed

Being a console player, I understand your pain and empathize with it.

But, being a cynical old bartard, I think that some issues we have aren't worth addressing... I'll try to sum them up.

1) Hardware: The consoles being coded for basically came out years ago... Aside from some improvements on the newest iteration, there's nothing there GGG can work with in order to improve, across the board, console performance and related play experience. They're not going to invest the money to improve the game just for XBox One X users, for instance, since there would be a surge in flights to New Zealand and an increase in the number of Fire Calls received from GGG's offices... Ain't gonna happen.

New Consoles are coming out in the fourth quarter of 2020, or thereabouts. We'll all get to enjoy spending hundreds of dollars on new garbage electronics designed to keep us "plugged in." Expect a spate of "could gaming" propaganda, too. GGG will, if ever, seek to make this a "development opportunity." Though... they'll still have to contend with legacy hardware consoles. They'll probably just light the whole place on fire and announce a version only for the Next Gen consoles.

2) Leaving for PC does nothing to improve console development. They don't see the same world we do. When they ring the bell in the marketing department because they've hit their quota of impulse-buy MTX transactions, that's when they're actually listening. Doesn't matter where it comes from so long as the expenses incurred by console porting are covered.

Vote with your wallet, instead. Just don't buy MTX from them at all until your concerns are addressed.

3) GGG isn't always to blame.

<gasp>

inorite.jpg

A large number of issues dealing with gameplay-related quality issues are, in fact, outside the scope of GGG. That's a common issue with consoles, 'cause of reasons:

A home's internal wiring, splitters, a network's wiring, old chipset modems getting hammered like never before, rusted-as-crap bolt-on connectors sitting in a puddle outside, some brilliant tech's idea to ground the house to a cable connection, families who insist that streaming three movies at once through their pipe is a non-issue for anything else, five people on wifi while their phones upload "their life" to storage... All these things add up to a difficult diagnostics situation. And, consoler's are sometimes a bit too concerned about their e-peen reputation in terms of hardware and connection quality to actually pay attention to... their hardware and connection quality.

IMO, I'd say half the complaints listed in the console forums related to in-game play issues are directly related to the complaintant's network quality, hardware age, and internet provider, in that order.

(I have a guide I was working on. Just haven't finished it because trying to cover "basics" to make it easier for neophytes is difficult. :) Will likely post it before 4.0... maybe. :) Best thing to post would just be "Call your ISP" I guess and leave it at that.)

GGG can't be expected to solve those problems. They aren't in their area of responsibility.

Though, designing the game so it must "phone home" whenever anything happens in the game, ever, is... hitting potential "anti-cheat" problems with the Nuclear Option.

Sorry i have to disagree with most of what you said.

When Diablo 3 came out on a xbox 360 it looked gorgeous and ran perfectly smooth and fine. (still looks gorgeous)

This wasnt because consoles were more powerful back then or people had better wiring, splitters or modems.

It was because Diablo was optimised and made fit for console.

Every other modern (online)game on my ps4 pro runs absolutely fine.

The only game that is constantly crashing and glitching since day 1 is PATH OF EXILE.

...and yes, the developer is to blame for this, not a bad wiring or an old console.

"
Faceman165 wrote:
Sorry i have to disagree with most of what you said.

That's awesome! :) (Disagreeing with someone's opinion can be the start of an interesting discussion!)

"
...It was because Diablo was optimised and made fit for console.

This is very true. (D3 is an awesome game with very good performance and retains its visual appeal and "feel" too.)

PoE wasn't developed as a console game. And, it wasn't developed as an instanced peer-hosted game, either. It was designed around a "MMO" hosting model where players must connect to remote servers and where the game receives virtually all of its dynamic content from. "Levels" may be in the client as well as assets, models, animations and the like, but every action requires the game to touch the remote server.

So, the comparison there is a bit off. But, the spirit of your claims is appropriate - PoE isn't a polished console game.

"
Every other modern (online)game on my ps4 pro runs absolutely fine.

The only game that is constantly crashing and glitching since day 1 is PATH OF EXILE.

...and yes, the developer is to blame for this, not a bad wiring or an old console.

Most of your console games are likely heavily client dependent, requiring nothing near the frequency of contact with a remote server that PoE does.

You can take a look at your bandwidth use using your console's apps, I think, and get an idea of how heavy PoE's traffic is. When I first started with PoE I had been playing D3 a ton. Just hours and hours and hours of grinding D3 with a friend of mine. Then, we started playing PoE. During my initial "debugging" phase, likely inspired to do so by sharing some of your complaints, I started using my console's apps to check performance and saw, to my dismay, the comparatively heavy bandwidth usage of PoE...

PoE absolutely loves talking to GGG's servers. That's its favorite thing to do. :) And, it talks to them about everything, from movement, opening chests, where the mobs are, etc.. constantly. It's very chatty. :)

You're right in that this is GGG's "fault." But, GGG wants to keep its PC and Console versions the same. They talk to the same servers, have the same content, get the same updates (with some customizing for consoles, of course) and all that. That's what GGG wants for PoE and, honestly, "we" want that as well. I don't want to be pigeon-holed as a "Second-Class Citizen" by GGG because I'm playing a very differnt version of their game.

To sum: The only thing we can do as players is to do all that we can to ensure our connection quality is the best that it can be. After that, it's all about what console hardware scheme we're using, whether we're on an XBox One (s) for instance or an XBox One (X) with a bit better hardware. After that, we'll get access to the "next-gen" consoles at the end of this year and, as long as GGG remains relatively subdued in any attempts to capitalize this, new next-gen owners should see many client-side issues in terms of hardware "disappear."

But, connection quality will never, ever, come in as a second-tier concern for PoE console players. Never. Even if PoE goes to "cloud" it's not going to reduce the importance of connection quality. It'd actually increase that dire need for connection quality.

Meanwhile, D3 keeps on chugging along with great graphics, great gameplay, excellent multiplayer, etc... Because it's built differently. :)
There are other online games that frequently connect to their servers as well and they dont have nearly as much issues.

I played several Battlefield titles, Destiny, the Division, ESO etc and the only game that lags, freezes and crashes the crap out of my console is Poe.

If the console version of Poe is designed in a way that a Ps4 pro can't handle then honestly it's badly designed and probably shouldn't be on this console in the first place.

Mentioning bad wiring/connection or limited hardware relating to Poe's poor performance gets a little annoying. I have a perfect online connection and my console can handle better looking online games perfectly fine.

Last edited by Faceman165 on Jan 19, 2020, 6:33:28 AM
I think a big part in the difference between POE's communication to server and other games is the sheer amount of things it needs to relay. In battlefield and even destiny, your not fighting large packs of things where the system had to keep track of a ton of variables where just about every mob rolls different mods and then keeping track of all the players stats during combat. You can't really compare poe to D3 in that regard because poe is a much more complex game doing many times more tasks at any given second. I bet if they dumbed it down to D3 level of complexity, it would run a hundred times better

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info