Market Question

Does anyone know why the market is full of items that people set specific asking prices on yet constantly reject the trade when you offer said asking price? Coupled with the fact that you can’t see who you are trading with it makes it very difficult to determine who the legit sellers are and just seems to waste both the buyer’s and seller’s time.

If these people want more why not set the price higher or if they are looking to negotiate why not set it as negotiable? Maybe there is something I am missing?
Last bumped on Jan 15, 2020, 6:22:51 PM
These people put those prices on purpose to push you into buying the higher priced similar items. You can que a bunch of em together then quickly throw offers at all if em to weed out these guys as the trade board wont allow you to make multiple trades with one person. This should filter them out a bit but it is a hassle
They should just make all asking prices final, if it's matched perfectly then it auto-sells. They can also move the confirm button combo to as you place the price in, so there's no actual difference.

For some reason they're opposed to doing this.
Several reasons.
One of them-these ppl want to change overall market price on this exact item.
For example they own a sertain amount of exact item and place it for pretty much same price that is very obviously different from overall price for this item on market. So when ppl get this item and want to sell it they might do a price check by searching it on market. If they not rly paying attention they might just check first couple of prices on this item and it could be prices of this guy who want to change it. Then they place their item at this price.
If a guy place item for lower price and not selling it-he want to buy it himself in big amount but for low price.

This method mostly affect currency market. And its pretty visible since poe launch on ps4. There always be a guy who want exalt higher or lower and doing a pathetic attempt to rule exalt market single handedly by placing sorry amount of it by ridiculous price trying to trick others but always fail to do so.

I personally know a 37 y.o. imbecile manchild who placed around 10ish voidflatchers for 30ex each on standart like a month or two ago. Besides he keep lying that he actually selling it for 30ex when you can grab one for 5ex with no problem even nowadays. Imagine being that dumb at 37 so you making absolutely absurd things up and thinking that others as dumb to believe in complete nonsense. His psn is Asra101010 if you run into him somehow beware of scam.
"
Gradieus wrote:
They should just make all asking prices final, if it's matched perfectly then it auto-sells. They can also move the confirm button combo to as you place the price in, so there's no actual difference.

For some reason they're opposed to doing this.

If they made a buyout feature it would completely change the market. People that buy and sell currency for real money would end up taking over. The game would get farmed soo hard. This way makes it more difficult for things to be exploited. Also makes our lives miserable hahaha.

But I think of it as an added difficulty to an already hard game.
Gau BOOM!! Bigggg Bada BOOOM
I wonder what it is about the console market system that lends itself to this type of market manipulation strategy. I don't doubt that there are people on PC who try and succeed to manipulate prices of certain items, however in the couple years I played on PC before switching to PS4 I had never encountered it. Perhaps the single added step of going through POEtrade filtered this out?

I don't feel like the current PC market is too dissimilar in its current state to the console auction house honestly in terms of functionality. It is true that you have to search the market through the web outside of the game, however with premium tabs and what not from the seller's perspective listing items to sell is rather similar and the confirmation requirement on console mimics the need to travel to a person's hideout to complete a trade of PC somewhat. Still I struggle to recall a time where I offered someone on PC their listed price and had them refuse the sale. Perhaps it is just much easier to manipulate the market on console with the much smaller player base or maybe it has more to do with the fact that it is a completely anonymous market.

I have been reading through a decent amount of the posts regarding this topic over the past few days. I can see the pros and cons of having an auto buyout function and I am not 100% certain of what my own preference would be honestly. I am curious though, if being able to see the seller's name would alleviate some of this, at the very least if trades were not anonymous you could figure out who the "legit" sellers are and simply avoid interacting with the others. Even as I ask that question though it comes to mind that it could be circumvented by using multiple accounts or characters and spreading their wares out among those.

I suppose it is a difficult problem to solve and one that many people probably don't even see as a problem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info