Can someone tell me how to Witcher 3?

It was on sale so I give it a try.
Did. Not. Like.

I don't mind anything about it so far but the combat and other mechanics.
Movements are a bit clunky and animations lock you in which is very frustrating.
I'm used to having fluid controls that obey instantly, all the time.
Having to wait so much to cancel or do something even if it's just half a second is just too much for me. It feels like I have no control most of the time, extremely irritating. I need my game controls to be instant, precise, fluid, responsive, flexible, interruptable.

Same frustrating feeling I got when I tried GW2 once.
The combat just doesn't feel good.
Doesn't help that I got many years of WoW behind me so that's pretty much how combat should feel like, quick and smooth constant mobility.

I literally had 2 fights in W3 now only 1h into the game and I already "soft rage" quit. I can't. I just fucking can't.
Also the off putting binds, tons of keys in bad places.
Clearly made for console first in mind.
Sorry for being a PC gamer with only keyboard and mouse,
I guess combat would be a bit less painful with a controller.

Another thing I didn't like was the full tab into the item/bag/character pages.
Could have made them transparent overlay while having the world blurred in the background, would have been much better.
It's also confusing and far from optimised.
Eat something to heal myself I guess? Where? How much does it heal? How? Can't I have a quick key for it? Where's my health in the inventory menu? Can't see my health go up? Is the game paused? How long does the effect last? What the fuck is anything???

Is this really the hyped "best game of the year" ?
I could make a 10 hour video on everything that was wrong or bad or could be improved after only 1 hour of gameplay... the fuck??
Last bumped on Feb 2, 2020, 11:34:42 PM
For me the combat in Witcher 3 was the weakest part so I just dialed the difficulty down a bit so I could get on with what I did enjoy, pottering around exploring everywhere & doing all the side quests etc.

It is definitely one of those games that does play better with a controller though, bought one just for that & Shadow of Mordor.
Last edited by RandallPOE on Jan 11, 2020, 10:26:45 AM
i havent finished the game but i have tried it and i agree that the controls are very clunky, especially combat and even worse combat against multiple targets

but everything else, the story, exploration and lore were great and worth it to go through the bad controls

i dont think the witcher games have ever had fluid controls so its just a matter of getting used to them
I think you kind of answered your own question with how to Witcher 3, the gameplay experience is much better with a console controller. WOW is not a good comparison with Witcher 3 when it comes to controls, both of them feel different in actual combat.

Hell, I do not think it is possible to even use a console controller in WOW without it being extremely awkward. Even then, there is too many hotkeys you have to bind your skills and stuff. Not even doable.

Witcher 3 is aligned with games like Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Vindictus, and Monster Hunter World when it comes to gameplay experience with a console controller. It is like it was meant to be.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

"
RandallPOE wrote:
It is definitely one of those games that does play better with a controller though

I mostly played it with a controller, but found horse riding easier with keyboard and mouse.
As others have said, use a controller. Also, spend an hour just fighting to get used to Geralt's animations. If a drowner is five yards off and you do a quick attack, it won't matter that the drowner is doing a dive at you and you intended to catch it with a simple slash: Geralt's going to do a whirling dance maneuver that you can't cancel. Eventually you'll get the hang of that and know when to dodge / attack / dodge / attack / etc.
Play witcher for the story the combat was allways bad in all the game's trust me im a big witcher fan i played all the games the combat was allways a big problem sadly ! But the story and atention to detail is amazing !
Buy an Xbox One controller. Problem solved.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I might be one of the few that did not mind the fighting mechanics and controls; on keyboard and mouse. I can't use a controller even if my life depended on it; controlling the camera is just a pain with a controller.

That being said, the secret to combat is doge; bind it to a mouse button and enjoy.

Witcher 3 is mostly about story, exploration, choices. Combat is just there. So if you're mire into combat and mechanics, might not be your type of game.
hahaha the funny witcher game meme very good game haha funny and good :]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info