Skip a league for consoles and fix the performance

First off, as you can tell I love the game. I support GGG and love how they essentially made the arpg of my dreams.

When I heard that PoE was coming to the ps4 I was ecstatic. It had fallen out with pc gaming and picked up a ps4 for its exclusives (bloodborne alone worth it).

That aside, when I started during synthesis I had a great time, until I reached maps. Queue the desync, lag, crashes, screen freezes and so on.

Either the consoles can’t handle the quantity of enemies and effects on screen or the game is just simply poorly optimized. While the performance was atrocious, I held on that things would get better. However, after playing metamorph league and seeing how the performance has gotten worse since legion (where it was the most stable imo).

Simply put, PoE’s performance on the ps4 is the worst I’ve experienced since Fallout 76. You heard that right, this game is about as bad as the worst bugthesda game made.

I’m not saying this to make anyone at GGG feel bad however disappointing it is to have one of the best games of this decade hindered by poor performance. My point is, with every new league and mechanic introduced the game’s performance gets worse. Metamorph league not only introduced new mechanics, it also included terrible visual screen flickering and tearing, more crashing, and even more screen freezes. It’s a gamble now if I go to town to see whether or not the game will freeze.

To get to the point, I simply recommend that you skip a league for consoles and get performance figured out. Extend metamorph instead of adding the new future league. Game also needs to be tailored better for console gameplay. auto loot for currency should be an option. Using the analogue stick to highlight objects is bad. Perhaps tuning maps and spawns to be less in quantity may be necessary which would mean tuning drop rates and making mobs stronger to compensate for the changes. Simply copying and pasting what you do for the pc version and putting it on consoles isn’t working out. It’s obvious to me by now that consoles can’t keep up with the pc experience of the game and certain changes need to be made.

Additionally, it might be better to stagger leagues for consoles where consoles are a league behind the pc version so that all the bugs are ironed out by the time consoles get a new league. I understand that that means console players will have access to the best strategies from pc players, but I don’t see how that would hinder the console experience any worse than the performance does now.
Last edited by jprg003 on Dec 29, 2019, 6:24:58 PM
Last bumped on Jun 11, 2020, 6:54:33 AM
Dear GGG devs,

This is not just a reply to jprg003's post. I wanted to tell you something in the same topic so I don't need to create new one as all I want to say is related to performance issues I experience.

First of all, I started in May, 2019 on Xbox One X with a marauder (Standard). I almost stopped playing because of performance issues were killing me in 95% of scenarios. That made the game I truly love unplayable in a way where it's just disappoiting and discouraging to continue struggle for progress. I spend one hour to get 10% of experience required for next level and 2 second screen freeze wipes my effort straight away. These freezes are too frequent to reach higher levels.

I believe that was not your point that players are penalized for hardware lags (not even internet connection lags).

I have a couple of friends playing POE on PC, with really heavy machines and two of them made me return with Necromancer in the begining of Blight league. So I started and I reached lvl 92 reaching T14 maps and Delves at around 160 depth (because this build was so OP), but again... the deeper I went the worse performance I experienced.

At the begining (before I started mapping and delves) I thought you fixed the game in Blight and my X1X will handle the animations and crowds of enemies, but then I discovered it's the same as it was with my marauder. Amount of animated effects breaks the most powerful console on the market. I got PS4 Pro (which I use for Netflix) and I even thought to try playing there with new character, but seeing the post above I lost my hope for fun with POE. I am stuck, so I quit.

I know PC's are different, some people build them with 3000 USD budgets and they have better cooling then most freezers, but consoles are just consoles. Powerful, but you can't upgrade anything.

I have quit 3 days ago, but I will return some day to see if things have improved. I bet you know what fixes are possible, but please consider:

1. Effects complexity level control (like in many games where you can scale quality)

2. Disable experience penalties, because there should be good reason to use penalty, and you are not able to detect if character dies because retared is the player or the machine.

Thank you for your time and great product.
The performance is atrocious on PS4. Especially since I decided to go summoner, it dips to zero and holds there for a couple of seconds constantly during these metamorph fights. You literally can't do anything but button smash and try to dash and hope you are running away while the screen is 0 - 1 frame per second for a while.
Last edited by Anton__Chigur on Dec 31, 2019, 12:39:22 AM
"
Anton__Chigur wrote:
The performance is atrocious on PS4. Especially since I decided to go summoner, it dips to zero and holds there for a couple of seconds constantly during these metamorph fights. You literally can't do anything but button smash and try to dash and hope you are running away while the screen is 0 - 1 frame per second for a while.

How many minions do you have?
[Removed by Support]
Maybe try a Forbidden taste quartz flask, it restores alot of your max life but you take i think 8% of your maximum life as chaos damage for a few seconds but it also gives you phasing
"
Anton__Chigur wrote:

Note this exact problem happens in all acts and all mob density and all veracity of effects, down to the twilight beach starting area. Just had my latest HC char freeze and die, again, from this exact problem in the scepter of god, with two enemies on screen and no effects happening besides an aura of accuracy on char. Sad to say its still unplayable since my last go a few months ago, and hopefully when i try again in a few months they'll have had the wherewithal to fix this.

Show me the incentive and i'll show you the result, said someone at some point in time. Well, charge some money, start a kickstarter for exclusively raising funds to rework ps4 port and hire extra hands, contract some devs, sell the console ports for the standard $60, do something ffs

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info