Three Question Poll

Hey guys, I am preparing a speech for a communications class and the subject is the James Webb Space Telescope. I put together a quick poll regarding space / telescopes and would appreciate it if you would answer them (they're yes or no) so I can use the data in my speech.

https://forms.gle/kFYQ3kDBXvnCLc8n6

Thank you!
Last bumped on Oct 26, 2019, 12:53:30 PM
Done. Good luck with your speach. :)
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
Done. Good luck with your speach. :)

Thank you very much! :)
Q: Is it important to send telescopes into space?

A: Yes, filtering out the atmosphere and bending the light.

Q: Is Space research worth the cost ?

A: Yes, projects like Sofia are ment to keep us Germans busy.
The alternative is deadly for the envoirment.

Q: Do you keep up with Nasa/SpaceX news ?

A: Yes, i always tune in when DLR makes a picture of the basic Laws of Physics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
Good luck with your presentation m9

Back when I was in school, our parents considered the Hubble a joke, because of all the problems they had launching it, and then the optics gaffe once it was active. It became a watchword for government agencies throwing away piles of public money on space junk.

I'm fairly happy said government agencies threw even more money at it to fix its lens, because the quality and implications of the types of data Hubble has been able to give us over the last 20+ years are simply beyond the reach of even the most ambitious ground-based telescopes.

I suppose there's always going to be people who point at space research and say "I know where the biggest black hole is - it's in funding for this tripe".

They can stay home, we're going to Eta Aurigae 2!
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Last edited by elesham4ever on Feb 14, 2020, 11:27:04 PM
Thank you all for the replies and the insight, always nice to hear how others feel about this stuff. The presentation will be on Monday, and this data will help!

A: Yes it is, fundamentally we are a curious species and i rather we devote attention to the universe and expand our mind and worldview then not.

Arguably the most impactfull picture taken in the past century

It literally transformed how humans view the earth and i am sure future pictures will have just as much impact.

Imagine globalization like we currently know it without this picture.

Q: Is Space research worth the cost

A: yes it is, the amount of return hummanity as a whole gains from pooling scientist together and letting them focus is enormous.

I recall a study demonstrating that every 1 dollar put into NASA had a return rate of 9 dollars by subsequent breakthroughs and entire industries comming from the research.

Advancements in aviation alone probably make up for everything we poured into the missions alone. Just imagining the amount of fuel we saved over the years by improvements to aerodynamics is probably a significant sum.

Q: Do you keep up with Nasa/SpaceX news ?

Not specifically, but i am always interested in the subject and follow lectures and advancements, "space exploration" as a field tends to overlap with various other things that i am interested in.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

A: Yes, the light from any distant space object to be seen on the Earths surface has to pass through the atmosphere. This creates distortions in the image that can be hard to remover (for optical scopes) and absorption an emission spectra for spectral observations. In space we dont have these problems - and we can put hte scopes where it is alwas dark so no problems with observation times.

Q: Is Space research worth the cost ?

A: Hell yes -eventually we will be going into space in a more permanent capacity. Knowing what its like up there will be important.

Q: Do you keep up with Nasa/Space X News ?

A: Not really those sites - I use Slashdot.org predominantly and use google.scholar when I want to look into something more specefic. I have access to both Science an Nature which I read pretty religiously.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Matt.
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
I think this stuff is important, NASA is a fraud though and it's not worth the money to have them researching it. Or any currently established space organizations.

Nobody has ever been to space. Just try to ask every civilian that was meant to go, but died during the launch.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info