Why are trade prices out of control on the PS4 (and I assume Xbox)?

In comparing to poe.trade, asking prices are often 5-10x as much. More on occasion. That goes for a majority of what those who don't post an asking price also expect, perhaps in part cue to context of the market.

Is it because there's a smaller online group of higher level players than on the PC? That's what one would think - quantity brings down the prices. It's pretty hard for a new-ish player.
Last bumped on Aug 21, 2019, 4:24:37 AM
Yes my guess it's due to the smaller playerpool, if you're playing in league you also need to consider that legion is almost over which decreases playercount there even more. Or maybe it's because the legion mechanics (army battles, monolith popping and incubators) showers you with currency if you're able to do them effortlessly, which would be also a plausible answer.
"
In comparing to poe.trade, asking prices are often 5-10x as much. More on occasion. That goes for a majority of what those who don't post an asking price also expect, perhaps in part cue to context of the market.

Is it because there's a smaller online group of higher level players than on the PC? That's what one would think - quantity brings down the prices. It's pretty hard for a new-ish player.

The xbox and playstation are not the PC. I realize you know that and I'm not saying it to be a tool. Economics 101, a gallon of gas doesn't cost the same in Texas as it does in Cali. You can't compare apples and oranges because they are fruit and expect them to cost the same.

To delve deeper into the reason of why console prices are higher I can only offer you my speculation. Less player pool to begin with, online currency sites price fixing through blanket buyouts and market floor raising, PC players have the game for nearly a decade so it's safe to assume a majority of them understand the fundemental mechanics better which accelerates early game acquisition of items, the use of 3rd party tools on PC which aids even the novice PC gamer in the adjusted value of an item weighted against the supply of said item, and the game is made for the PC so it runs better which makes a big difference if you take into account all the users who have lost hours of EXP progress to desync.

MOstly though... it's a case of supply and demand
Can only hope GGG do something in 3.8 to help out with the trade, combining Xbox and PS4 market and more loot filters would be a step in the right direction.
Was looking for a prophecy the other day , gave up after 50 pages of pressing R2 .. would have been nice to just see the one I searched for instead of going through 50 pages.
Last edited by Triix on Aug 17, 2019, 10:59:18 AM
This trade systemm is ridiculous, why the f does it show you all the items that are not related to your search??? Just make them disappear so it only shows what your searching for ffs. It seems like an extremely simple qol fix. I mean come on, guys...
It is not entirely clear to me that the immediate effects of combining the Console Markets would be positive. It seems logical that the long term effects would be positive, but not the short term effects. Lets just say that both Console Markets are more Chaotic than the PC Market. The Xbox Market has had a couple of years to settle down while the PS Market is still quite new. If the PS Player base is indeed several times the size of the Xbox base, then combining the Markets will do little for PS but possibly remove two years' worth of maturity from the Xbox Market. I expect that GGG will want the Markets to converge some more before considering a merger.

Regarding the structural silliness abounding in Console Trade: that comes almost entirely from the top ranks of GGG (Chris Wilson in particular) rather than the Xbox Team.
Formerly posted under AnExile_onthePath

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info