This is not what an orb looks like

[Harbinger Orb]

This makes me rage.
Unplayable game.
Last bumped on May 31, 2019, 12:21:33 AM
This is a minor nitpick that's also been nagging at me. Orbs are spherical objects. To confirm this I looked at numerous sources online to confirm: Wikipedia doesn't have a page for "orb", it simply redirects to "sphere", while many online dictionaries have "a spherical object" as the only applicable definition.

If an orb is only considered an orb if it's spherical, any non-spherical object should not be considered an orb because they cannot technically be one.

Of course there is some leeway in that: "spherical" does not need to specifically mean "a perfect sohere"; so long as the general shape is somewhat spherical then it can be an orb.

However I believe GGG have fallen into the trap of getting a bit lazy with their naming conventions, by having a preference towards following existing patterns even when doing so makes no sense.

In my opiniom the following orbs should be renamed to something a little less specific than "orb":

Bestiary Orb
Chromatic Orb
Orb of Alteration
Harbinger's Orb

Of these, a case could be made that Bestiary is an orb; the Einhar mask does seem to disguise this. Chromatic Orbs appear to look like raw untreated chunks of mineral, Orb of Alteration looks like a blue jellyfish, and Harbinger's Orb looks like a plastic bird (!).

Therefore a second approach would be to alter the designs of these orbs themselves, since they lack the raw cleverness of other orbs and don't visually make much sense.

The problem with doing that though, is that players have become very used to the appearances of these items and there could be some pushback amd rejection of any visual changes - so a simple name change is probably the preferred way to go.
It's a 4th dimensional orb
The more More you have, the less Less matters

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info