New job in another city

I soon have to move to another city. Tell me how you solved this problem? Did you hire a moving company?
Last bumped on Aug 12, 2019, 3:59:59 PM
Did it twice. First time I rented a little U-Haul trailer. Packed up my stuff and drove it halfway across the country. Second time I rented a big Ryder truck and went halfway across the country in another direction. Big fun, lol. If you can afford it, movers would be the way to go. That or my alternate plan of just abandon all the old shit, drive over to the new place and start fresh!

Actually I'm starting to sell off most of what I can right now since I'm planning to move across town this Summer and I'm tired of looking at all of my old junk.
I'm going to need to move soon too. I think there are companies where you can put all your belongings in a POD. The company will then transport the POD to wherever you are relocating.
I moved over 20 times in my late teens and 20s (back and forth among three U.S. states and four countries), and through that I learned a lot about the relationship between myself and my stuff.

Fresh starts are an opportunity to re-evaluate all your accumulated shit. Marie Kondo is famous for saying you should keep only those things which "spark joy." And though the end result of that advice is highly subjective, I think it is necessarily so.

If you have the luxury of going through all your things before you move, throw out or (preferably) give away those things that don't actually conribute to your happiness. You not only do not need them; you literally do not want them.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Aug 12, 2019, 9:44:46 AM
"
TikkyT wrote:
I soon have to move to another city. Tell me how you solved this problem? Did you hire a moving company?

Garage sale / craigs list / donate ect...

Then use a service like Pods if possible.

If this is for work, most companies provide some compensation for the move which you can use for services that assist.

Also, as previously mentioned, go through your stuff and weed out what you dont "need"
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Big yard sale, sell everything you don't need to legally identify yourself in the new location.

You'll walk into your new digs with enough money to get some food and a transit pass, or at the very least a room in a hotel if you havent had time to find a new place to live.

All your crap - your furniture, games, books, clothes, knickknacks, anime body pillows, partially disassembled mopeds, football trophies, steamer trunk full of mostly-assembled mix-and-match Zvezda models with an unsettling amount of small gray plastic bits carpeting the bottom of the trunk and the lingering fragrance of epoxy.

All that shit is not who you are. It's there because you, being who you are, enjoyed it for a while, then set it aside.

Time to pass it forward. Someone in your old city must be on the verge of discovering they, too, want to dick around with moped parts, or they have a daughter at home who loves SAO (or maybe uh, just throw that thing out, y'know?), or the Winged Victory figurine on your junior college football award can be sawed off and turned into a Goddess of Justice terrain monument for a live-action tabletop Eternal Labyrinth, or they broke the turret off their T-34 model and you have dozens lying fallow.

Your butt does not NEED a fancy folding couch while you are in transit to the next city. When you get there, you can just as easily sit on a second-hand sofa or a camp stool.

And if you do get an advance stipend for moving to the city, welp now you have extra money in your pocket to make resettlement easier. Better apartment, better furniture, better food, getting your internet and phone set up quicker.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Plan the move a month ahead of time, and sell your furniture through mobile apps like "Let go". Any furniture that doesn't sell that's not extremely valuable, give it away, or trash it. Don't bang up the walls of your apartment trying to move furniture, that could mean you losing your deposit and possibly being charged extra for damages.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Aug 12, 2019, 4:04:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info