Why would you remove the Vaal Oversoul boss theme?

I've so far encountered this boss twice (this league) after re-rolling one of my characters, the first time I thought I hadn't paid attention, the second time I confirmed that the music doesn't change at all when the boss appears, there's only a continuation of the darkness ambient music that plays after you release the Act 2 ancient seal.

I know this boss took like 15 sec to kill so almost no one got to hear the fight music anymore, but I hardly think that's any reason to remove it outright. Hopefully this is a bug that was overlooked?
Last bumped on Apr 14, 2019, 3:10:33 PM
There should indeed be a boss track for the Vaal Oversoul - we'll look into it.

Does the boss music play normally if you revisit the boss on the same character?
"
Does the boss music play normally if you revisit the boss on the same character?

I'll check in a minute and come back to you. (Wow, I did not expect a reply from GGG, thank you)
"
Ben_GGG wrote:
There should indeed be a boss track for the Vaal Oversoul - we'll look into it.

It does play when I re-visit the area. It might be an issue with characters on the first run? Or perhaps some weird bug on my end? But if it was a problem on my end, I don't know why it would play when I re-visit the area.

I know that I'm not wrong (as in, I misheard) because I explicitly ran around the boss arena for quite a while, trying to listen to the music, and all I heard was the Act 2 darkness/night-time music (The track name might be "Shadow of the Vaal").

If it helps at all, both of my characters on this league to encounter this problem have been witches. Both times I may have skipped speaking to several quest givers in town except to collect rewards all through the act.

If you would like more information, I'm willing to provide you with as much detail as I can.
Because this is one of my favorite boss themes and I was really disappointed when I found it missing, I actually made a third new character to test this again.

Indeed, I was able to reproduce the bug. When my Marauder fought the Vaal Oversoul for the first time, the music didn't change from the "Shadow of the Vaal" ambience song to the proper boss theme.

After killing the boss, I then logged out and waited a while for the instances to reset. I went back to the encounter and the music properly changed this time, however, the ambience music was no longer "Shadow of the Vaal" as the world wasn't darkened anymore, I believe it was just the regular Vaal Ruins theme.

So there might be something wrong with the "Shadow of the Vaal" song during the part of the quest that darkens the world. I noticed that every single area in act 2 has its music replaced with the "Shadow of the Vaal" track when that quest is active: maybe there's a line of code that sets that song as having a higher priority than all of the other music tracks? And perhaps that line of code is mistakenly also prioritizing this song over the boss theme.

Should I post this in the bug report forum?
Last edited by CosmicSpear on Mar 12, 2019, 4:33:25 AM
Hello all,

the same happened to me a few minutes ago. No Oversoul-theme during the first encounter - the new temple music kept playing.

I also revisited the boss as Ben has suggested and the boss-theme returned in that second encounter.

Looks like a bug to me.
Yes it is bugged, like a lot of areas.

Sarn based maps and memories have no music.
The map bosses based on Piety, Merveil, Shavronne/Brutus, Kaom, Kitava, Tsoagoth and Shakari don't have the good music as they have in the acts.
Many nexus memories have the soundtrack of the previous area.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info