Vacation time Destination changed to Sri Lanka

So a friend wants to go to Edit* Sri Lanka this year.

Anyone travel there before.

When were you there? ie. 2016, May. or 2017, Nov.

Did you have any issues? Hotels, pickpockets, local police looking for handouts, scam to look out for.

Would you recommend going there or somewhere else?

We travelled in Vietnam last year for 2 weeks. We are used to Hostels and low-end hotels and travelling by bus to get from city to city.

We are not sure when we would be going or for how long yet.

Edit*

So she wants to go to Sri Lanka now.
2 Weeks in April.

Just trying to get as much information as possible.

Last edited by xPeleusx on Jan 29, 2019, 1:26:50 PM
Last bumped on Jan 29, 2019, 6:09:01 PM
I personally wouldn't go there unarmed.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
"
IIPheXII wrote:
I personally wouldn't go there unarmed.

Gotcha.

Pack Magnums condoms. (Check)
Peleusx, how did you like Vietnam? Never been there but it is on my pretty short list of places I have never been to but would like to. Did you take a ride down the Perfume River?

First stop for me there! (If I ever go).
Censored.
If you survived Vietnam you'll be fine in Thailand. I went there twice and it was nice. Of course people get dollar signs in their eyes when they see you but if you politely decline they leave you alone (exception: sex workers who can get quite handsy if you're male). Morocco was way worse in that regard.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Peleusx, how did you like Vietnam? Never been there but it is on my pretty short list of places I have never been to but would like to. Did you take a ride down the Perfume River?

First stop for me there! (If I ever go).

Vietnam was very nice.
The food was great,
People are friendly enough.

The tourists spots are busy.
Some busier then others.

It is a very barter type folks always wanting to sell you something.
But you can talk them down as the next place over is selling the same thing and if they do not give you a deal they know the place down the block will.

Home-stays is where it is at. They are cheap and friendly.

Climate is Hot, Hot and sticky.

We traveled South to North and visited about 4 different city's along the way.
Traveled by overnight bus which is cheap and popular with locals and other visitors.

Ho ChiMinh City

Nha Trang (Lots of Russian Tourists) Nice beaches, good coffee, Mud Bath's were nice.

Hoi An (Very nice city, lots of shops to get deals from, This is the city to get clothes from, meet folks getting costume leather jackets and linen suite made.

Hanoi we spent just a day here as we took a tour of Ha Long Bay and that was mostly on a boat.

I have never been to Sri Lanka and was not aware that it was a popular vac destination although I don't keep up very well with the tourist industry.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
I have never been to Sri Lanka and was not aware that it was a popular vac destination although I don't keep up very well with the tourist industry.

Yeah, it was never on my radar of a place to go.

Over the last few days been looking at it more and more and it has piqued my interest.

They have some great beaches and surfing it seems.
I told my friend as long as we save a few days at the end of the trip to relax on the beach I fine with it.

The only qualms I have is getting around, if you miss the bus or train then either your waiting for the next one or you hire a driver to take you to the next place. But I guess that is part of the experience.

Sounds fascinating. I went to HS with a guy from Sri lanka nicest guy ever and always wanted to go. Heard Tamil tigers died down so should be safe.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 29, 2019, 6:02:08 PM
"
xPeleusx wrote:
"
kolyaboo wrote:

Yeah, it was never on my radar of a place to go.

Over the last few days been looking at it more and more and it has piqued my interest.

They have some great beaches and surfing it seems.
I told my friend as long as we save a few days at the end of the trip to relax on the beach I fine with it.

The only qualms I have is getting around, if you miss the bus or train then either your waiting for the next one or you hire a driver to take you to the next place. But I guess that is part of the experience.

Rent an SUV? When i was in Brazil/Thailand and other parts unknown I rent a 4x4 SUV. Roads are crap plus trains dont run on time.

Oh one interesting part you rent those range rovers like in Brazil they are stripped out.. no leather, no power seats ets. Just metal interiors and stick shitf lol. It's kinda roughing it even then.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jan 29, 2019, 6:16:49 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info