Leveling Mathil's trickster storm call build

I want to start 3.5 with Mathil's Trickster Storm Call build (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xXiMFguiHI). But I could not find any guide on the leveling. Comment says single target is kinda weak after 30.

Just wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on leveling or this build just isn't a viable league starter?

Thanks
Last bumped on Dec 2, 2018, 8:15:43 AM
I did not play exactly according to his trickster because I was low on currency and couldn't afford 6L loreweave and stuff, but I played inquisitor and the single target damage was VERY GOOD, even better than my double strike champion.

One thing I realized (not confirmed but seems pretty much true from my experience) is that vaal storm call snapshots your crit chance and damage increase, and applies that to ALL subsequent vaal storm call hits. So you always want to get to the boss, stack up your power charge, pop up your flasks and vaal RF, then finally cast Vaal Storm Call. Also swap spell cascade to Conc Effect because that is like double single target increase. You can look at my lv89 character, which even do a separate 5-link on a shaper dagger just to maximize the vaal storm call damage. Yes the damage is pretty busted. Once you are able to roll the crit on vaal storm call the boss will always die to just one vaal cast. Also your base storm call damage is also very strong. I have 6000+ effective hp right now and killed tier 10 elder today.

My gut feeling was that this build should not be a league starter. You have low crit chance to start with, no leveling weapons, and also no less duration enchant and lv20 less duration support such that you need to face tank mobs for a short well, meaning you need strong sustain. So my suggestion would be to go flat damage first on gem setup for maximum vaal storm call damage without rolling on lucky crit, only swap to inc crit chance when you are 3+ power charge, 40% unbuffed crit and diamond flask. This should help your consistency while leveling.

If you are able to get some currency, do a tabula + 10c worth dual wand around level 70-80, you should be able to clear very safely. It is doable, but for a league starter I would highly recommend arc or freezing pulse other than this. I start with freezing pulse every league and it just feels much better than this.

Let me know.
Last edited by tlang on Dec 1, 2018, 7:33:35 PM
"
colossalaiur wrote:
I did not play exactly according to his trickster because I was low on currency and couldn't afford 6L loreweave and stuff, but I played inquisitor and the single target damage was VERY GOOD, even better than my double strike champion.

One thing I realized (not confirmed but seems pretty much true from my experience) is that vaal storm call snapshots your crit chance and damage increase, and applies that to ALL subsequent vaal storm call hits. So you always want to get to the boss, stack up your power charge, pop up your flasks and vaal RF, then finally cast Vaal Storm Call. Also swap spell cascade to Conc Effect because that is like double single target increase. You can look at my lv89 character, which even do a separate 5-link on a shaper dagger just to maximize the vaal storm call damage. Yes the damage is pretty busted. Once you are able to roll the crit on vaal storm call the boss will always die to just one vaal cast. Also your base storm call damage is also very strong. I have 6000+ effective hp right now and killed tier 10 elder today.

My gut feeling was that this build should not be a league starter. You have low crit chance to start with, no leveling weapons, and also no less duration enchant and lv20 less duration support such that you need to face tank mobs for a short well, meaning you need strong sustain. So my suggestion would be to go flat damage first on gem setup for maximum vaal storm call damage without rolling on lucky crit, only swap to inc crit chance when you are 3+ power charge, 40% unbuffed crit and diamond flask. This should help your consistency while leveling.

If you are able to get some currency, do a tabula + 10c worth dual wand around level 70-80, you should be able to clear very safely. It is doable, but for a league starter I would highly recommend arc or freezing pulse other than this. I start with freezing pulse every league and it just feels much better than this.

Let me know.

Ye. So I asked the same question on reddit and it seems this build is not suitable as a starter. People suggest starting with Arc, following Mathil's tree, but skipping area damage and power charge related nodes. When I have ways to stack power charge (since Mathil's build relies heavily on power charges), I can make the switch. I checked some trickster Arc builds and they do not seem to deviate too much from this build.

Do you think this approach is valid?

Thanks for the reply

Also, yeah, from Mathil's video the Vaal Storm Call is INSANE. I am not worried about the single target damage end game, more worried about leveling.
Last edited by tlang on Dec 1, 2018, 7:33:23 PM
"
tlang wrote:
"
colossalaiur wrote:

Let me know.

Ye. So I asked the same question on reddit and it seems this build is not suitable as a starter. People suggest starting with Arc, following Mathil's tree, but skipping area damage and power charge related nodes. When I have ways to stack power charge (since Mathil's build relies heavily on power charges), I can make the switch. I checked some trickster Arc builds and they do not seem to deviate too much from this build.

Do you think this approach is valid?

Thanks for the reply

Also, yeah, from Mathil's video the Vaal Storm Call is INSANE. I am not worried about the single target damage end game, more worried about leveling.

I did not hold on area damage, but just take every point I could take except power charges. My check point was always that around lv40 I should have 1300-1500 hp and around level 60 I should have 2500 so I can start doing Lab. I did all 3 labs one try and uber lab 1 death, around level 84.

What is the main difficulty that you are having here? If physical, get more hp nodes. If damage, buy two axiom maces and it can carry you pretty much up to mapping. It also has top tier crit chance so you can actually go crit earlier. I leveled up my character pretty much with just tabula and duo axiom up to level 64, until I can swap in the daggers i am using now. TBH the progress was quite smooth. Only spend one day trying to level up.

You can put in added cold damage in your links, put on Herald of Ice-curse on hit-assassin mark for the shattering effect. This helps you a lot for sustain and power charge. You can also do herald of thunder which gives you even more curse, but I prefer HoI. Also you can do curse aura + enfeeble if you are taking too much damage. Armor flask also helps you a lot when dealing with Act 5 and 10 mobs.

Finally, be careful when using vaal fire storm. It's a bit tricky to use and it's AOE is pretty small once you put in conc effect.
"
colossalaiur wrote:

Let me know.

Thanks for the reply. I have not played this build, so I don't know what difficulties I will face yet. Just want to check before I commit to it. But from what you said and what I saw on reddit, I think I know what to do. I did not know Mathil's build is pretty close to Arc, at least in the early leveling phase. Now that I know I can rely on Arc at the beginning, things should be simpler.
I'm going to attempt the build as my league starter as well but at this stage I'll be using Arc until I get a 6L. Less Duration is very important for this build, so I'd imagine it won't be a strong starter until lvl 31. Do note that there's also a unique ring and ammy that can be used on a budget to lower duration at later levels
Last edited by Eathb on Dec 1, 2018, 11:25:38 PM
"
Eathb wrote:
I'm going to attempt the build as my league starter as well but at this stage I'll be using Arc until I get a 6L. Less Duration is very important for this build, so I'd imagine it won't be a strong starter until lvl 31. Do note that there's also a unique ring and ammy that can be used on a budget to lower duration at later levels

Lol sounds like you know what u r doing more than I am. Will peek at your char from time to time then to see how u do it
"
tlang wrote:
"
colossalaiur wrote:

Let me know.

Thanks for the reply. I have not played this build, so I don't know what difficulties I will face yet. Just want to check before I commit to it. But from what you said and what I saw on reddit, I think I know what to do. I did not know Mathil's build is pretty close to Arc, at least in the early leveling phase. Now that I know I can rely on Arc at the beginning, things should be simpler.

You have the right idea. I'm actually going inquisitor and I use cold conversion for the shattering and it's so much fun.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info