[Theorycraft] Dual Wield Viper Strike - Shadow Assassin Build - Chaotic Poison

Hello Everyone,

Coming back to the game, I thought it was time I tried to create a build of my own, suited to how I'd like to play. First off, I am probably considered a complete beginner by some of the more advanced players in the community, I understand that this theorycrafted build is in need of outside, and more knowledgeable sources. I have poured into researching things on my own, but know that by posting here, I could likely get some help with the build concept.

To give a little history... I started playing in the Harbinger League, and played all the way through Bestiary before taking a break from the current Delve League. I'm sure there are some things I've missed between updates. I played Glacial Cascade Miner for both leagues, but always wanted to try and make something happen with Viper Strike, as it's the first gem you get as a Shadow.

So, here's my attempt at a build centered around Viper Strike, a dual-wield Shadow Assassin Poison/Chaos Build.

https://pastebin.com/qPhzKCCq - Path of Building Link

I've tried to pour everything so far into POB, and am looking for advice on a lot of the numbers/interactions/choices of equipment. I mostly tried to make the equipment as optimal as I knew how, but certain things like the ridiculous 760% chance to poison are things that go a bit beyond my realm as to whether or not that is a good thing (I assume it is not).

Mainly looking for a more experienced set of eyes to review this stage of the concept and give me feedback regarding things that could change to improve the overall functionality of this build.

I have yet to test this in game, I am currently leveling a Shadow in the Standard League in hopes of testing it out prior to the Betrayal League.

Regardless, I will be trying it in Betrayal in order to work out the problems I come across from a game play standpoint, but wanted to reach out to the community to see if anyone has critiques/suggestions as I work through it.

[EDIT] -- Feel free to PM me if you'd rather chat on Discord about it
Last edited by Rogueran on Nov 28, 2018, 3:55:52 AM
Last bumped on Dec 16, 2018, 11:23:37 PM
Initial thoughts as someone who played Viper Strike Pathfinder in Delve, though I really didn't play much this league (didn't even get to Uber lab to give an idea). Played enough to learn a bit about Viper Strike, and like you had a similar fascination with the skill that I've always wanted to try.

I also was initially thinking of doing an Assassin build. Assassin gives you more damage, Pathfinder gives you more clear speed and utility. I went with Pathfinder because Viper Strike really isn't hurting for damage IF you scale it right.

My lvl 88 Pathfinder with completely crap budget gear and only having completed merc lab, still running tabula, has around 800k shaper dps inc poison, fully buffed, not counting vaal double strike or agony crawler dps. If I were to run an Assassin and really went for the absolute best-case scenario (40 poisons applied recently, which means I've been hitting constantly for four seconds, the duration of a VS poison), I would be at about 1.2M shaper dps.

I do recommend you head over to the ranger forums and find KissMeQuick's Viper Strike thread. It will teach you a lot.

That being said, quick thoughts on your build:

- Wasp nest + breath of the council is like an immediate ~50% damage boost, will suit you fine til you can get a super high pdps claw.
- Run vaal blight.
- Run Ancestral protector with withering touch/culling strike if you have links for it.
- Ditch lesser poison, run multistrike instead. Some would recommend added chaos, although I didn't run it.
- Unspec frenzy nodes
- Unspec perfect agony, use Coralito's flask instead
- At only 102% inc life on the tree, you're way too squishy. Shoot for at least 175%.
- Unspec Deadly Dilitante
- I personally would unspec all the stuff above shadow and go over to the scion life wheel and duelist life nodes.
- You likely want Master of the Arena if you can get there, weapon range is big for melees.
- Get the claw wheel.

That should get you started.
Maybe some inspiration for you:

https://pastebin.com/T4sKkUDS.

Swap Multistrike for Ancestral Call when mapping. You will kill most mobs with one shot anyways (eventually...) ;)
twitch.tv/KQFFE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info