Still learning new things about PoE every day!

Like, today I learned that the reason the default Scorching Ray art has looked like complete ass this whole time is so an MTX would be that much more appealing.

What exactly is wrong with it? The visual cues indicating the velocity of the plasma or whatever it's supposed to be, shooting out of the casters hands, make the whole thing look slow, weak, and un-fun. The ray doesn't so much "shoot" out, actually ... it looks more like it kinda "moseys" out.

(Even D3's disintegrate -- a fairly nondescript graphic, as I recall -- looks better and gives more of a feel of fun and power.)

I always assumed this was because SR was a new skill, and a new type of skill, and GGG was excited to roll it out, nevermind the fact that the art wasn't quite perfect yet.

Well, today with the release of this MTX, I realize that GGG must think the default scorching ray art is perfectly fine. Well, it's not. Ugh.

Disclaimer: I have never, don't ever, and don't forsee any circumstances under which I would ever buy a cosmetic MTX from PoE. But I do buy stash tabs. Or at least I did before GGG's neglect of stash tab QoL issues made me realize that buying more stash tabs was actually over the tipping point of being a burden rather than helpful.

And I also don't play scorching ray cuz it looks weak and un-fun.

-------------

Edit: P.S. the new one looks like ass, too.

Am I the only one who thinks these flames should move with some actual vigor and not just kinda meander their way to a target? Evidently.

clip from the hobbit movie

At about 2:23 is a decent visual representation of how to make a "shooting flame" that looks a little bit intimidating, in a work of "AAA" media.

TBH this still doesn't quite have the "muzzle velocity" I'm looking for. But it's a damn sight better than SR looks.

Anyway, there are probably better examples out there... imagine what I could have found if I put more than 5 seconds of effort into it!
Last edited by xSTGx on Sep 1, 2017, 12:47:34 AM
Last bumped on Sep 1, 2017, 12:32:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info