Chance to gain a Power Charge on Critical Strike

Good day everyone.

I've been playing an EK Assassin and have been following a guide. I'm really enjoying it and have come across something. I was getting all my Power Charges from Armageddon Brand linked with a Power Charges Support gem. Now I think after Unstable Infusion from the Ascendancy Tree I've been gaining them all from my EK alone, very successfully too. Which is nuts because the modifiers are:

10% to gain a power charge on Critical Strike
20% to gain a power charge on Non-Critical Strike

So is that a 30% chance to gain a power charge just from my hits?

Trying to wrap my head on how successful this is.

Last bumped on Aug 7, 2020, 11:22:55 PM
Unstable Fusion
20% chance to gain a Power Charge on Non-Critical Strike
10% chance to gain a Power Charge on Critical Strike
+1 to Maximum Power Charges

---

Every hit, and I mean every, even Secondary Damages (corpse explosions, herald of thunder's lightning bolts, herald of ice's ice novas...) can either be critical or non-critical.
Every hit that is not critical is considered non-critical. Skills that have 0% crit chance (for example, Herald of Thunder's lightning bolts, default attacks while unharmed, every hit while you have Resolute Technique) will always land a non-critical hit.

While usually there are advantages for landing critical hits, beside the inherent application of elemental ailments and extra damage in form of Critical Hit Multiplier, there are also advantages for landing non-critical hits. For example, a certain Cluster Notable will make your non-critical lightning hits lucky (awesome for HoT builds), Romira's Banquet will make you gain a power charge on non-crit and, as in this case, you have a chance to gain a power charge on non-critical

A hit cannot be critical AND non-critical, so Unstable Fusion will not give you an actual 30% chance to gain a power charge on hit. Rather, it makes each and every of your hits able to gain a power charge - with higher chance for non critical hits. The basic idea is to make your character able to quickly reach maximum power charge, but still being able to sustain the Power Charge by occasionally deliver a critical hit that gives you an extra one
also keep in mind that those chances are per individual hit, so if your skill hits multiple enemies, you will have multiple chances to gain a charge, BUT you will not gain more than one charge per skill use (channeling and few other skills being an exception)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
Maxtrux wrote:
Unstable Fusion
20% chance to gain a Power Charge on Non-Critical Strike
10% chance to gain a Power Charge on Critical Strike
+1 to Maximum Power Charges

---

Every hit, and I mean every, even Secondary Damages (corpse explosions, herald of thunder's lightning bolts, herald of ice's ice novas...) can either be critical or non-critical.
Every hit that is not critical is considered non-critical. Skills that have 0% crit chance (for example, Herald of Thunder's lightning bolts, default attacks while unharmed, every hit while you have Resolute Technique) will always land a non-critical hit.

While usually there are advantages for landing critical hits, beside the inherent application of elemental ailments and extra damage in form of Critical Hit Multiplier, there are also advantages for landing non-critical hits. For example, a certain Cluster Notable will make your non-critical lightning hits lucky (awesome for HoT builds), Romira's Banquet will make you gain a power charge on non-crit and, as in this case, you have a chance to gain a power charge on non-critical

A hit cannot be critical AND non-critical, so Unstable Fusion will not give you an actual 30% chance to gain a power charge on hit. Rather, it makes each and every of your hits able to gain a power charge - with higher chance for non critical hits. The basic idea is to make your character able to quickly reach maximum power charge, but still being able to sustain the Power Charge by occasionally deliver a critical hit that gives you an extra one

Hey thanks for the reply much appreciated.

I guess what I'm asking is how do you get a basic view of the Math at play here. How do I workout my chance of a Power Charge with those modifiers when hitting x amount of enemies.
Last edited by DRBrown994 on Aug 6, 2020, 6:48:55 PM
I considered figuring out the formula, but honestly, why does it matter?

With default charge duration you have a 69% chance to sustain your power charges even with 100% crit chance against a single enemy that you only hit once per second. In all realistic scenarios with proper cast speed and possibly more than one target you will have maximum charges in a second or two and never lose them unless you stop hitting enemies for more than ten seconds.

Building charges repeatedly only makes a difference if you expend them, and EK does not expend the charges.
More than 70% of my recent characters are assassins. But I never once bothered to calculate such formula. All I know is that if I start hitting bosses, I would have max charges within 1 to 2 seconds.

Needing a separate setup to gain charges would be clunky AF, especially now we have so many buttons to mash. This is my current sequence for my Ele Hit wander:
1. Blood Rage -spacebar
2. Enduring Cry -Q
3. Vaal Cold Snap -R
4. Vaal Haste -T
5. Charge at the boss with my barrage-setup! -middle-click
6. Dying Sun -3
7. Cinderswallow -4
8. Wise Oak -5

I would imagine that as other classes, if I'm forced to use a brand skill for gaining power charges, I might not have enough spare socket slots for it anyway. Frenzy charges are still more beneficial than power charges for the majority of builds so I would keep Blood Rage and Vaal Cold Snap instead, compensating for lack of crit with diamond flask instead.

In those days, people were weapon swapping to Jaws of Agony and throwing bear traps on the ground before swapping back to primary weapons and entering the arena. I've also seen videos of players opening their inventory to temporarily swap Ralakesh's Impatience boots to gain charges. Game is so much quicker now, with better ways to get damage e.g. simply changing to blood stance, etc. I doubt many players are still doing these tricks.

"
I considered figuring out the formula, but honestly, why does it matter?

With default charge duration you have a 69% chance to sustain your power charges even with 100% crit chance against a single enemy that you only hit once per second. In all realistic scenarios with proper cast speed and possibly more than one target you will have maximum charges in a second or two and never lose them unless you stop hitting enemies for more than ten seconds.

Building charges repeatedly only makes a difference if you expend them, and EK does not expend the charges.

It matters so I can better understand the mechanics other than "oh I can hit enemies many times so I can easily chance Power Charges". I'm just curious as to how the forumla works when the percentages of chance to Power Charges multiplies when hitting more enemies, based off the Ascendancy modifiers.
We have reached the point at which simply finding the formula is less effort than trying to argue why it is not necessary.

The probability to gain a charge on each hit is

10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance)

so the chance to not gain a power charge is

1 - (10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance))

and the chance to not get a power charge for an entire use of a skill is

(1 - (10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance))) ^ number of hits

so the chance to get a power charge when using the skill is

1 - (1 - (10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance))) ^ number of hits

thus the expected number of power charges you gain per second is

skill uses per second * (1 - (1 - (10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance))) ^ number of hits per skill use).

If you want a more exact result, keep in mind that gaining the power charges increases your crit chance which means you're less likely to get a power charge per hit, so you'd have to branch out your probabilities further. The result of the formula is still worthless either way.
"
We have reached the point at which simply finding the formula is less effort than trying to argue why it is not necessary.

The probability to gain a charge on each hit is

10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance)

so the chance to not gain a power charge is

1 - (10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance))

and the chance to not get a power charge for an entire use of a skill is

(1 - (10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance))) ^ number of hits

so the chance to get a power charge when using the skill is

1 - (1 - (10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance))) ^ number of hits

thus the expected number of power charges you gain per second is

skill uses per second * (1 - (1 - (10% * crit chance + 20% * (1 - crit chance))) ^ number of hits per skill use).

If you want a more exact result, keep in mind that gaining the power charges increases your crit chance which means you're less likely to get a power charge per hit, so you'd have to branch out your probabilities further. The result of the formula is still worthless either way.

I'm not understanding the formulas particularly the "(1 - crit chance)" maybe I need to brush up on my math. Thanks for your reply.
"

Increases in critical strike chance would outweigh non-critical strike chance?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info