Not really sure how to figure what my "CoC" per second is.

I have about 2.1 attacks per second on sheet, and I'm using Barrage with Greater Multi, says 9 projectiles.

I have 100% crit, so that's an easy calc. Currently I have 2 spells linked - but do I have enough speed to warrant that?

I'm not sure what, or how many, arrows are eligible to trigger CoC, and/or what their intervals currently are, what ideal "sweet spots" are, etc etc.
Last bumped on Aug 6, 2020, 4:22:41 PM
Cast on Crit's cooldown is (now) 0.15 . This mean that, with a 100% CritChance and a 100% hitChance, you need (roughly) 6.67 Attacks per Second in order to get the most out of CoC. Anything above will just hit during CoC's cooldown.

I said "Roughly" because you should also consider your attack's action speed, and/or your projectile speed and distance to the enemy, Perhaps you can still get the most with a flat 6.00. Also you should consider server lag, which can eat up some milliseconds

This is a 2018 topic on serious CoC, and also goes about Barrage CoC

"
Maxtrux wrote:
Cast on Crit's cooldown is (now) 0.15 . This mean that, with a 100% CritChance and a 100% hitChance, you need (roughly) 6.67 Attacks per Second in order to get the most out of CoC. Anything above will just hit during CoC's cooldown.

I said "Roughly" because you should also consider your attack's action speed, and/or your projectile speed and distance to the enemy, Perhaps you can still get the most with a flat 6.00. Also you should consider server lag, which can eat up some milliseconds

This is a 2018 topic on serious CoC, and also goes about Barrage CoC

It is very important to note that the way cooldowns work in PoE depend on the server tick rate, which is incidentally mentioned in the post you link. Thus, the actual cooldown without investment is 165ms resulting in a maximum of 6.06 hits per second (and btw 6.67 HiPS would be too much and result in cooldown skipping even if the cooldown was 150ms).

Unfortunately, the post neither addresses using several spells, nor is it updated for Awakened CoC, which allows to lower the cooldown even further than before.

Also, I have not tested Barrage since its rework alongside Barrage Support, but before my tests resulted in the projectiles not being always spread across the same 60% of the attack time as that post assumes.

Regarding firing several spells, the conclusion is extremely simple however. Even with the default projectiles, 2.1 APS would be enough to trigger three separate spells with 0-51% increased cooldown recovery speed and two spells with 52%+ increased cooldown recovery speed.

The reason why you would want to improve your attack speed further is not so that you can cast more spells during the time you are actually firing, but so you can reduce the time during which your spells are not on cooldown while you are charging up your Barrages.

You essentially do not need to worry about the timing of your projectiles at all because there will always be more than enough.

As general tips to improve your damage, I would recommend getting extra projectiles from Dying Sun and weapons rather than a support gem, and unlike Freezing Pulse, Creeping Frost is actually able to shotgun by overlapping the AoE from the end of the projectile, so it is usually the spell used alongside Ice Spear for CoC builds.

Some posts to read regarding cooldown mechanics and CoC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/fh8bnh/spellslinger_cooldown_thresholds_and_all_other/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/e5pyr8/the_cyclone_cast_on_critical_strike_cooldown/
Thank you guys!

I saw all those threads while doing research last night. The thread with the image chart might be what I go off of. I'm going to ask my friend today, as well, if he's up to the math challenge in figuring this out as well.

Normally I like to do my own math, and in general, CoC's internal CD and maximizing attacks is easy to figure out. But with Barrage's mechanic of "only attacking in the last 60% of animation," I just can't seem to wrap my head around how to calculate that. (And it's probably super simple, I just don't know which direction to go in.) All my arrows are "condensed" into a 60% time frame window, which means during that time period, my arrows are (presumably evenly) coming out all in that time frame. So what does this really mean in regards to what I need to achieve in attack speed?

(And then I assume I multiply that amount by the number of spells I wish to be able to trigger.)
The shorter the duration of the charge-up, the smaller the period during which you cannot trigger CoC.

While your attack is firing, you will trigger spells very close to their cooldowns because of how many projectiles you have.

I would recommend to aim for around 3-3.64 APS for the time being, possibly higher if you have increased cooldown recovery speed.

Unfortunately I neither have the programme nor do I understand the code that the Barrage CoC thread guy used, otherwise I would have attempted to run a simulation for more projectiles, more spells, and a shorter cooldown.

It might be worth to consider using Blast Rain for single target, which hits in a more consistent frequency that extends beyond its attack time, so you would not have to worry about the charge-up time of Barrage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info