Storytelling in Path of Exile

"
ghamadvar wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:

You wont hurt my feelings im not a child.

PoE story is not "good" - ist good enought for h'n's game. Thats it. I really like it and enjoy it and due to this vid i understood why. Similar to it is also Incredibles Adventures of Van Helsing - they see Player as part of the game, "high dimmentional being" as they putted there. In Grim Dawn or Titan Quest story is just... pff. Not interesting at all. Like at all.

Feelings: Was more about the writers, not you. I respect the work they do. I just don't think they have a good roadmap or a roadmap at all, that's all i am going to post here.

And again: POE storytelling is bad. Don't mix it up. Story =/= Storytelling. I can tell you a lame story in a way that you will love it. Or i can tell you the best story in the most boring (or confusing) way so you will hate it.

So true. Poe has one of the best stories & world building in arpg (story depth, novelistic culture & history, etc), but the storytelling is frequently...unfitting and messy. Usually when u dont want anything they feed u stuff to block ur path and when u expect something deeper all u get is just void.

So far as I enjoy how they keep the d2 aspects of storytelling, there is just so much that they have always been failing to explain. Always.

Wraeclast's storytelling can truely use some love.
Last edited by SnowRhex on Jan 3, 2020, 6:45:14 PM
I am a writer, and I've composed a story treatment for a sequel pitched to Obsidian, and I've written hundreds of dialog trees for various WRPG's.

Objectively speaking, I would not consider PoE's story and lore "great." I can refer to it as "technically sufficient" without being overly charitable. The narrative provides pretext to slaughter the next group of foes, and does so without too many inconsistencies in terms of NPC/PC motivation. The lore does not contradict itself, and flows consistently from era to era.

In the final tally, PoE is not embarrassingly bad, yet its certainly no masterpiece. (Which is not intended as an indictment of the product). Good enough is "good enough" for a day at the office. Masterworks are inspired and rare. Path of Exile's narrative clocks in at 9:00 am and puts in an honest eight hours of work.

It is my belief the story's strongest points are the first four acts. You are introduced to the antagonists, and they actively work to hinder the hero as they advance, making periodic appearances to remind the player there are larger machinations at play in the world. This yanks the player back into the narrative when they might otherwise find themselves lost in act-centric fetch quests and build/gear number-crunching.

The story's weakest areas are its tendency - particularly in the later acts - to slip into anvilicious intersectionalist undertones. While relatively mild compared to a lot of what we see in modern cinema/games, it's still jarring and out of place in a world as brutal as Wraeclast. A writer needs to always remember that their personal views only belong when they serve to advance the story - injecting them for any other reason destroys immersion. I'm looking at Jun and Irasha in particular. They're thinly veiled author's avatars, and if your NPC's are going to start soap-boxing about menstruation, it had better be important to the plot.
Last edited by Sabranic_SilverDeth on Jan 3, 2020, 8:19:49 PM
so after listening the entire podcast didnt watch anything..

their "reasoning" behind not explaning/answering is just lazy.

they see "fun" where there's nothing but pointless and some ridiculous speculations.

also they created a MESS by the looks of it since every new "league" is a "different" timeline.. this is just terrible, the only patch that kinda is starting to make sense is 3.9 conqueror storyline yet again after you kill sirus players will have to wait until 4.0 to get another explanation of events or what happened after the fight? not going to throw spoilers here but you know the more I listen to that video the lazy I think they are regarding not explaining things regarding their own lore.. answering questions isnt bad in fact it's good.

very disappointed that high templar venarius story is just another "crazy" person story.. when it's mostly in fact the demons he wants to protect wraeclast from is breachlords, beyond demons and the elder..
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
Last edited by Xystre on Jan 3, 2020, 8:51:04 PM
"
The map tab that I paid you money for ate all my blight and guardian maps and hundreds and hundreds of maps that I spent two years acquiring.

I am not some super-twitch streamer who rolls around in mirrors and does damage in Shapers-per-second, it took me a really really long time to collect these maps, and now 2/3rds of them and all my valuable ones have just disappeared.

And I paid you money for this to happen to me?

Please correct this issue, I really can't be bothered to give a tinker's damn about lore when my account is this badly messed up.

I buy your supporter packs and I buy your league packs. I am a paying customer, and I don't demand much in terms of service - the only thing I ask is that a feature I paid you for does not blow up in my face, and when it does, you make it right in some fashion. That is what a reputable company does when they accidentally hurt their paying customers.
"
ghamadvar wrote:

Feelings: Was more about the writers, not you. I respect the work they do. I just don't think they have a good roadmap or a roadmap at all, that's all i am going to post here.

And again: POE storytelling is bad. Don't mix it up. Story =/= Storytelling. I can tell you a lame story in a way that you will love it. Or i can tell you the best story in the most boring (or confusing) way so you will hate it.

OK because You quoted my post i assumed You had my feeling in mind. Sorry for misunderstanding.

I kinda like it. PoE is as i wrote before hack and slash game and story and everything around it is just an excuse. Good excuse, bad excuse, well spoken excuse, not so well spoken excuse - thats cosmetics. PoE does its job better than other games of this kind. That actually says a lot about all games IMHO.
Last edited by de99ial on Jan 4, 2020, 2:26:38 AM
I feel really excited for this. Thanks for shairng.
<p>If they substituted the word 'Lust' for 'Love' in the popular songs it would come nearer the truth.&rdquo; - <a href="https://lyricsraag.com/">LyricsRaag.Com</a></p>
https://lyricsraag.com/
"
de99ial wrote:
OK because You quoted my post i assumed You had my feeling in mind. Sorry for misunderstanding.

My bad then ;)

"
I kinda like it. PoE is as i wrote before hack and slash game and story and everything around it is just an excuse. Good excuse, bad excuse, well spoken excuse, not so well spoken excuse - thats cosmetics. PoE does its job better than other games of this kind. That actually says a lot about all games IMHO.

I think we won't get on the same train here. And that's okay.
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Antagonistic stuff. Sorry.
Last edited by ghamadvar on Jan 4, 2020, 6:38:44 AM
"
ghamadvar wrote:

Did you learn this in writers school? Man, this last paragraph kills your CV with WRPG and stuff.

And who the f are you? And what the f is "WRPG"? Wahmen Role Playing Game?
"
TheDravic wrote:
"
ghamadvar wrote:

Did you learn this in writers school? Man, this last paragraph kills your CV with WRPG and stuff.

And who the f are you? And what the f is "WRPG"? Wahmen Role Playing Game?

Woah, ambush! I am nobody, let's leave it like that. Relax ...

I changed the posting of mine. It was too aggressive and unfair. Sorry Sabranic. So a little bit more kind: I don't agree with your last paragraph. That's it.

WRPG: Western Role Playing Game. I hope. He/She used it. If it means something else, i don't know what.

Thx, bye.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info