Storytelling in Path of Exile

"
kaculp wrote:
"
Xyrm wrote:
I don't envy the position Natalia is is, but the folks at GGG really need to read the room. .....
Please, stop ignoring quality. You guys have been on a sharp downhill trend since 3.0, with zero acknowledgement of it being a problem or what you're going to do to improve it.

i'm enjoying playing this free game actually

*sigh*

same thing happens to me everytime i try to offer up CONSTRUCTIVE criticism that will improve things if heeded, i get the "the game is free so you have no right to complain" response.

i actually spend what to me is a great deal of money supporting the work of GGG, and i feel that a company needs to be told when there is a problem so it can be addressed.

i really do hope things improve, but the same problems keep happening over and over.

perhaps we should not have a new league every 3 months, make the leagues 6 months if needed.

but PLEASE fix things GGG.

Around 32:00 I KNEW IT that old masters spoke to Player not to character.
This video and segment should have been titled "PoE Tutorial." The whole thing was more to do with game usability and player experience and less to do with the actual story.

Driving the usability based on some "axis" makes sense. Driving a story based on some axis is a horrible idea. Just write a good story - which is not really what this video was about.
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
"
"
kaculp wrote:
"
Xyrm wrote:
I don't envy the position Natalia is is, but the folks at GGG really need to read the room. .....
Please, stop ignoring quality. You guys have been on a sharp downhill trend since 3.0, with zero acknowledgement of it being a problem or what you're going to do to improve it.

i'm enjoying playing this free game actually

*sigh*

same thing happens to me everytime i try to offer up CONSTRUCTIVE criticism that will improve things if heeded, i get the "the game is free so you have no right to complain" response.

i actually spend what to me is a great deal of money supporting the work of GGG, and i feel that a company needs to be told when there is a problem so it can be addressed.

i really do hope things improve, but the same problems keep happening over and over.

perhaps we should not have a new league every 3 months, make the leagues 6 months if needed.

but PLEASE fix things GGG.

I would say it has stagnated the last league, presumably until 4.0 release. Comparing the time pre and during 3.0+ the game has gone up in quality, not down at all. Keep in mind that a league nowadays is much larger and more complete than ever. Cant really compare delve and synthesis with harbinger and abyss. Bugs are to be expected as with every league and expansion so far. Its impossible to predict bugs, server issues and reception without giving out the content first. GGG have found what works for them monetarily and active players so I dont think they will strive away from their current dev cycle anytime soon.
What's the point of complaining about bugs in a world-building thread? They know. They're on vacation, as should you be.
"

What's the point of complaining about bugs in a world-building thread? They know. They're on vacation, as should you be.

And their vacation is wanting to be spent playing a game that is not buggy glitchy.
I really love how Matt acknowledges all kinds of players, and tries to work out how to immerse absolutely everyone in the world. I'm a very casual lore nerd, but I can't help but be drawn into the story by all the voice lines and visual story telling. I can't wait to find out more about the Ezomytes!
"
de99ial wrote:
"
ghamadvar wrote:
Storytelling in POE is as bad as it gets. Sorry. Pretentious and hollow.

In all hack and slash games story is jus an excuse to shash and hack. But yet there are few games that do that excuse story well. PoE despite all flaws is not so bad at this.

nvm. Don't want to hurt anyones feelings. I don't like it. It feels like a pen & paper heartbreaker to me. That's all i am saying ;)
The Sirus fight is a disgrace.
Last edited by ghamadvar on Jan 3, 2020, 12:13:55 PM
"
ghamadvar wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:
"
ghamadvar wrote:
Storytelling in POE is as bad as it gets. Sorry. Pretentious and hollow.

In all hack and slash games story is jus an excuse to shash and hack. But yet there are few games that do that excuse story well. PoE despite all flaws is not so bad at this.

nvm. Don't want to hurt anyones feelings. I don't like it. It feels like a pen & paper heartbreaker to me. That's all i am saying ;)

You wont hurt my feelings im not a child.

PoE story is not "good" - ist good enought for h'n's game. Thats it. I really like it and enjoy it and due to this vid i understood why. Similar to it is also Incredibles Adventures of Van Helsing - they see Player as part of the game, "high dimmentional being" as they putted there. In Grim Dawn or Titan Quest story is just... pff. Not interesting at all. Like at all.
"
de99ial wrote:

You wont hurt my feelings im not a child.

PoE story is not "good" - ist good enought for h'n's game. Thats it. I really like it and enjoy it and due to this vid i understood why. Similar to it is also Incredibles Adventures of Van Helsing - they see Player as part of the game, "high dimmentional being" as they putted there. In Grim Dawn or Titan Quest story is just... pff. Not interesting at all. Like at all.

Feelings: Was more about the writers, not you. I respect the work they do. I just don't think they have a good roadmap or a roadmap at all, that's all i am going to post here.

And again: POE storytelling is bad. Don't mix it up. Story =/= Storytelling. I can tell you a lame story in a way that you will love it. Or i can tell you the best story in the most boring (or confusing) way so you will hate it.

The Sirus fight is a disgrace.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info