Storytelling in Path of Exile

"
Xyrm wrote:
I don't envy the position Natalia is is, but the folks at GGG really need to read the room. They release a major patch a week before the whole office goes on vacation (to be clear: I think it's extremely important for healthy work/life balance, and their team needs time off, the problem is with the decision to release the patch so late in the month knowing their track record).

The team is presumably supposed to be back from New Years now. The game is not in a great state. Guaranteed desktop crashes from legion encounters. My main skill, VD, randomly stops working in maps. Bearer explosions that don't load in until after you die (along with a ton of other assets that seem to load slowly even though I'm on an SSD).

This is completely ignoring the community's gripes with various parts of the endgame.

Please, stop ignoring quality. You guys have been on a sharp downhill trend since 3.0, with zero acknowledgement of it being a problem or what you're going to do to improve it.

what did you expect? they did the same thing last year. once i saw how unbalanced and buggy this was, i was outta that league in just five days. if i like a league, i go for 40 challenges, but i didn't want to put up with this and hate myself for three months trying to finish these challenges.

concerning quality: as ggg repeatedly announed how their player numbers are increasing, i'd say they dgaf about quality if money gets thrown at them anyway. i'd probably do the same if i owned ggg tbh.
Facepalm; storytelling?!! In >20 years of gaming I've never seen anything so bad which is fine because I don't play poe for its story, but why bring it up?

How good storytelling is in the game from my experience: it ruins the game & I can't even skip it fast enough; for exact same reasons that I can't stand this presentation: the lack of ability to present it to the audience.

What did he write in the past that makes him qualified to write for poe? Poe is neither a sitcom nor creepypasta; unless you're making a screen adaptation to a poe movie, then it's not fit for the role.

Why can't you find fans of the game & ask them to write/vote for a story? Anything would be better than this
I hope 4.0 will do some justice to some if not most of your unexplained but interesting lore regarding leagues and bosses.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
"
Clannard wrote:
Once upon a time:

We released a patch that bricked your paid for map tab, so you cannot use it ever.

The end.

I normally play standard, but decided to play the league this time because that green portal is sick. If i didn't decide to play the league this time i would have quit and uninstalled because of the bricked map tab.

Also, PoE has a story? :D
If you critique this game and its problems your post will be removed.

In a news thread about sound i asked "Why did it take multiple leagues to fix the sound on console?". Then got put on probation by Kane the sound guy! This is who GGG are!
"
Xyrm wrote:
I don't envy the position Natalia is is, but the folks at GGG really need to read the room. They release a major patch a week before the whole office goes on vacation (to be clear: I think it's extremely important for healthy work/life balance, and their team needs time off, the problem is with the decision to release the patch so late in the month knowing their track record).

The team is presumably supposed to be back from New Years now. The game is not in a great state. Guaranteed desktop crashes from legion encounters. My main skill, VD, randomly stops working in maps. Bearer explosions that don't load in until after you die (along with a ton of other assets that seem to load slowly even though I'm on an SSD).

This is completely ignoring the community's gripes with various parts of the endgame.

Please, stop ignoring quality. You guys have been on a sharp downhill trend since 3.0, with zero acknowledgement of it being a problem or what you're going to do to improve it.

i'm enjoying playing this free game actually
"
Jerle wrote:
Can’t wait for patch!

Ditto!
i don't like act 6 story.bring nessa back in poe2
Play SSF HC League only.
Already lose count how many time i be slain in SSF HC.
Never argue with Softcore/Poor people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
The map tab that I paid you money for ate all my blight and guardian maps and hundreds and hundreds of maps that I spent two years acquiring.

I am not some super-twitch streamer who rolls around in mirrors and does damage in Shapers-per-second, it took me a really really long time to collect these maps, and now 2/3rds of them and all my valuable ones have just disappeared.

And I paid you money for this to happen to me?

Please correct this issue, I really can't be bothered to give a tinker's damn about lore when my account is this badly messed up.

I buy your supporter packs and I buy your league packs. I am a paying customer, and I don't demand much in terms of service - the only thing I ask is that a feature I paid you for does not blow up in my face, and when it does, you make it right in some fashion. That is what a reputable company does when they accidentally hurt their paying customers.
Last edited by Sabranic_SilverDeth on Jan 2, 2020, 11:47:21 PM
woo
█▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀ ░ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █░░█ █▀▀
█▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ ░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ ░ █▄▄▀ █▄▄█ █░░█ █▀▀█ █▀▀
▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀ ░ ▀░▀▀ ▄▄▄█ █▀▀▀ ▀░░▀ ▀▀▀
For story, I feel like a bit more variety is actually needed.

POE does a lot of good things - the story is there for those who want to discover it, yet out of the way for those who don't give a shit.

But it also is a bit too "tropey" at times lately - it lately fell into the issue of some really 1 dimensional characters.

It's why I hated to see Eleron killed off. Its overly cliche that "oooh, organized religion is EEEVIIIIL!!" even though it does make a degree of sense for the setting.

Yet here we had this other exiled templar who could be talking about smiting some devils in one breath and downing some spirits and having a jolly time in the next. I found his character the most interesting in the original setup when I joined, because with everything going token "dark and gritty", here was this Templar who both doubled down on his faith, but dismissed the dogma around it, which made for a different and compelling character than just the token "oh, he's religious, so he must be evil." trope that these types of games take. And he had a hell of a sense of humor and a sunny disposition even with all that. I loved the take and was sad to see him go.

And not saying the game needs religious overtones either - but I hope they walk the line better in 2.0. I do enjoy the story, but while the return to Oriath showed us this is a dark place where anyone can get whacked (RIP, Nessa, Greust, and Oyun), doing so for show, or to "prove how dark and gritty" the game really is seems like it takes away from the story rather than adding to it.

No need for happy endings or anything like that. But to elevate the story, characters (and character deaths) need more purpose than just either blank faced NPCs and fodder for horror movie tropes.

And we need more character dialogue - that was sorely missing in the Oriath expansion. Everyone wanted to hear more from their character. (and hopefully there will also be a way to grab an Oni-Goroshi again in act 1 2.0, along with all new dialogue for our favorite humorous, egotistical cursed sword...)

Just my opinion.
Last edited by ZionHalcyon on Jan 3, 2020, 12:24:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info